Recipe submitted on July 28th, 2011
Roasted Salsa Verde
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup tomatillos, husked and quartered (about 3)
1 cup poblano, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. jalapeno, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup local honey
1/4 cup garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 cups queso blanco or Monterey Jack, shredded
1 pkg. flour tortillas (6″)
Directions for Roasted Salsa Verde
1. Place a 2 qt. baking dish inside the oven; preheat to 500 degrees
2. Toss tomatillos, poblano, onion, jalapeÃ±o and garlic cloves and oil in a bowl. Transfer to preheated baking dish and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Pulse vegetables in a food processor with cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper to blend; if thick, add water as needed.
Directions for Fajita Chicken
1. Whisk 1/2 cup lime juice, honey, minced garlic, cayenne, salt and pepper together. Pour marinade over chicken in a resealable bag and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat grill to medium. Remove chicken from marinade and grill to an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 6 minutes per side, brushing with marinade every few minutes. Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing into strips.
3. While chicken is resting, turn grill heat to low and grill tortillas 1 minute on each side.