Shortcake Pie Dough (45 mins + cooling time)
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
6 Tbsp heavy cream
1/4 c. plain yogurt
Minced zest of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two forks until they pea-sized.
- Stir together the cream, yogurt and zest in another bowl and add to the flour mixture; blend with a fork, just until the mixture comes together.
- Roll our the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Transfer dough to a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Trim the dough so only 1/2-inch hangs over the edge of the pie plate. Roll the dough under itself and crimp. Firmly press the dough onto the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake crust until golden, about 20 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack. If (when) the crust starts to slide down the side of the pie plate during baking, use a spoon to gently press the crust back up the sides and continue baking.
Vanilla Pastry Cream (15 mins + cooling time)
6 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp table salt
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 c. whole milk
3 Tbsp plain yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg and egg yolk in a bowl.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steam rises from pan. Slowly ladle half of the milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour the egg-milk mixture into the remaining milk in the pan; bring to a boil, whisking constantly until pastry cream is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, whisk in the yogurt and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and chill until cold.
Putting It All Together (1 1/2 hours + cooling time)
1 recipe shortcake pie dough
1 recipe vanilla pastry cream
3 lb. strawberries, hulled, divided
1 c. sugar
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
2 Tsp fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt
2 tsp unsweetened gelatin
4 Tbsp water, divided
1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Puree 1 pound of strawberries in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a large saute pan. Add the sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice and salt.
- Sprinkle the gelatin lightly and evenly over 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl; let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon of water and cornstarch; set aside.
- Reduce the strawberry mixture over medium-high heat to 1 1/2 cups, 20-25 minutes.
- Once reduced, whisk in the cornstarch mixture and simmer 1 minute.
- Add the gelatin mixture; whisk to melt and combine. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Quarter the remaining 2 pounds of strawberries (about 6 cups); stir into cooked strawberry mixture.
- Spread the pastry cream into the bottom of the pie crust.
- Top the pastry cream gently with the strawberry mixture so that the strawberries donâ€™t sink into the cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 3 hours. Serve with homemade whipped cream, if desired.
Homemade Whipped Cream
3/4 c. heavy cream
3 Tbsp powdered sugar
2 Tbsp plain yogurt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat the heavy cream in a bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar, plain yogurt and vanilla extract; beat until medium peaks form and serve with pie.